Selected answers from the Dumb SEO Questions G+ community.
Health Risk Services Inc.: What are some great tips for a small business owner who is looking at having SEO done oner our newly launched website.
Ranu Jain: Here are some of the important things to remeber for a new website:
1) Set up Google Analytics.
2) Set up a "Goal Conversion” in Google Analytics for any “thank you” pages on your site (for a contact form or any sales).
3) Set up Google Webmaster Tools. Also, don't forget to link Google Webmaster Tools with Google Analytics. It will help to get more insights about visitors activity.
4) Create a robots.txt file and upload it to the root directory of your site.
5) Create a sitemap.xml file and upload it to the root directory of your site and submit it to Google Webmaster Tools for indexing.
6) Keyword Research : Make a list of all products and services you will offer. Create as many combinations of keyphrases as you can. You can have more keyword ideas with the help of Google Keyword Planner and other keyword research tools.
7) Onpage Optimization: ;
- Give unique title tag for each page, using one or more of the targeted keywords (diferent keywords for every page). Keep the entire title tag under 60 characters. Write a unique meta description for each webpage. It helps in increasing the CTR. The entire meta description should be under 155 characters.
- URL strucuture is really very important. Include a target keyword in each page’s URL.
- Each page must have one h1 tag (that includes a target keyword). Additional headers (h2 – h6), if required, should appear in order.
- When you link to any page on the site, use one of the target keywords associated with the page you are linking to as the anchor text.
- If your website is image-heavy, add ALT tags to the images to let search engines understand what users are seeing.
Ensure your site has a unique content. Try to add more content as it serves as food for search engines. Have blog on your site and regarlarly post on it. ;
9) Create videos, podcasts, webinars, infographics, illustrations and PDF downloads.